Saturday, October 8, 2011
Where: TGI Friday's in Porter Ranch
When: Thursday, Oct. 13 5pm-10pm
Why: TO SUPPORT OUR 1ST ACADEMIC HIP HOP CONFERENCE!
Come out & show support for the upcoming Hip Hop Think Tank 1st Annual Academic Hip-Hop Conference. The OFFICIAL LINE UP of the performers, panelists, and films will be announced. HHTT will also be raffling off some dope prizes!
Be sure to print out flyer (below) and bring it with you as proof of your support!
The 1st Annual Academic Hip Hop Conference, L.A. Hip Hop: Beyond Gangster Rap, will take place in the USU on November 18-19, 2011. Registration is NOW OPEN! http://fla.vor.us/1106785-Academic-Hip-Hop-Conference-tickets/Academic-Hip-Hop-Conference-Northridge-University-Student-Union-November-18-2011.html
The Hip Hop Think Tank 1st Annual Academic Hip-Hop Conference: LA Hip-Hop Beyond Gangster Rap, will provide a space to bring together influential members of the hip-hop community to share their experiences and help foster a deeper understanding of hip-hop as a tool to advocate for social justice. The first day of the conference HHTT will host a student hip-hop film competition, followed by a separate viewing of a hip-hop documentary. The documentary will explore L.A. Hip-Hop outside of gangster rap, and will be followed by a Q&A session with the director. On the second day of the conference, we will hold workshops that explore the four elements of hip-hop: MCing, DJing, breaking and graffiti writing. Concurrent with these workshops, there will be panel discussions on a wide array of topics ranging from gender in hip-hop to an in-depth look at the role of hip-hop in social justice movements in L.A. and across the globe. The two-day conference will conclude with a showcase during which L.A. based hip-hop artists will perform live demonstrations of the four elements of hip-hop on campus.
Friday, November 18, 2011:
6:10pm-7:30pm: Student Film Showcase (Films TBD)
7:40pm-9:30pm: Hip-Hop Documentary Viewing/ Q&A
Saturday, November 19, 2011:
11:00am-12:15am: 1st Session
• Panels: Hip-Hop Industry 101 (Balboa, Session 1), Activism/ International Hip-Hop (Thousand Oaks, Session 1), Hip-Hop & Sustainability (Grand Salon, Session 1)
• Workshops: Master of Ceremonies, Rhymes, & The Art of Toasting (Games Room, Session 1), Graffiti Art & ‘Bombers’ Too (Plaza del Sol, Session 1 & 2), Beat Making (Pasadena, Session 1)
1:45pm-3:00pm: 2nd Session
• Panels: Gender & Sexuality in Hip Hop (Flintridge, Session 2), HHTT Presentations (Thousand Oaks, Session 2), Underground Hip-Hop (Pasadena, Session 2)
• Workshops: B-Boys & Girls (Grand Salon, Session 2), Graffiti Art & ‘Bombers’ Too (Plaza del Sol, Session 1 & 2), Scratching, Mixing, & the DJ (Balboa, Session 2)
5:00pm – 9:00pm
The conference showcase will feature a student cipher, b-boy performance, student DJ competition, and musical performances from L.A. hip-hop artists.
*Line-up, special guest speakers, and performers announced at HHTT Launch Party
$20 - CSUN Students
$25 - non-CSUN/ CSUN Faculty & Staff
$30 - Community members
$10 - Youth School ID
$5 - Showcase
$5 - 1 Day Pass for either day (Conference material Not included)
Free - Youth who only attend workshop
* Registration includes 2-Day pass to both day, Conference T-shirt, Conference Supplies, Food, and Entrance into Showcase
For more info or Questions email:
Follow us on twitter.com@HipHopThinkTank
Stay connected on facebook.com
Monday, September 19, 2011
Hip Hop Think Tank: STUDENT FILM COMPETITION
WHEN: Friday, November 18, 2011
WHERE: Northridge Center, University Student Union
18111 Nordhoff St., Northridge, Ca 91330
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: October 1, 2011
Send entries to:
All entries must be uploaded to a registered youtube.com page and sent, along with general application, via email to email@example.com
Hip Hop Think Tank at California State University, Northridge is now accepting submissions for its 1st Annual Academic Hip-Hop Conference: Student Film Competition!!!!!!!! The Competition will be held on CSUN campus in the Northridge Center located at 18111 Nordhoff Street, Northridge, Ca November 18 – 19, 2011. The competition is open to CSUN students ONLY of all academic backgrounds. Submission deadline is October 1, 2011. To request more information and entry forms email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each film will be judged by a panel of professional filmmakers, professors, and audience members. All film submissions go through an initial screening, go before a panel of preliminary judges, then three (3) submissions are chosen for final review. Selected films are notified via email on October 13, 2011 and at our Conference Launch Party! Awards are presented to winners on Saturday, November 19, 2011.
HHTT is a student organization that exists to facilitate, provoke, and realize positive movement through academic analysis, research and critical discourse relative to issues which impact and/or emanate from the world of hip hop. We are providing a space to bring together influential members of the hip-hop community to share their experiences and help foster a deeper understanding of hip-hop as a tool in the fight for social justice. We would be honored to have you join us at our conference, and to help support HHTT’s mission through your participation.
Competition ENTRY RULES
COMPETITION DATE: November 18 - 19, 2011
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: October 1, 2011 5pm PST
• You must be a current CSUN student in order for you to submit your film/video.
• No entry fee required.
• All films are to be uploaded via youtube.com and links are to be sent via e-mail along with the general application.
• Films must be 5-10mins running-time
• Films must explore some aspect of the five elements of hip-hop; MCing, DJing, Breaking, Graffiti, Knowledge, or a combination of two or more.
• Only one entry per applicant is allowed.
• All filmmakers will be notified via email if their film has been selected for the next phase of the competition.
• If your film is selected, you may be asked to provide: B&W and color stills from the film; press materials; video trailer and digitized trailer for website (if available) posters and flyers.
• Titles produced in languages other than English must have legible English subtitles.
• The selection committees’ and juries’ decisions are final.
* HHTT Reserves the right to make any necessary changes in regulations or competition scheduling.
*Complete the entry form and attach it to an email with the subject line (HHTT Conference Student Film Competition) by October 1st, 2011. For additional information you may contact us at 909-717-8980.
Do you love Hip Hop?
Hip Hop Think Tank is looking for dedicated volunteers to work on the 1st Annual Academic Hip Hop Conference scheduled to take place November 18 & 19 at Cal State University, Northridge. Volunteers will help with the planning, organizing and execution of this amazing event.
Volunteer Information Meeting
September 12, 2011
1:00pm - 2:00pm - Dr. Ratcliff Politics of Hip Hop Class (Manzanita Hall 103)
9:00pm - 10:00pm - Sierra Hall 273 - PAS Writing Lab
September 13, 2011
4:00pm - 5:00pm - Sierra Hall 273 - PAS Writing Lab
September 19, 2011
12:00pm - 1:00pm - CSUN Dorm - Community Center Multi-Purpose Room
7:30pm - 8:30pm - CSUN Dorms - Community Center Classroom
September 20, 2011
5:00pm - 6:00pm - CSUN Dorm - Community Center Classroom
September 21, 2011
7:00pm - 8:00pm - CSUN Dorms - Community Center Classroom
September 22, 2011
4:00pm - 5:00pm - Sierra Hall 181
September 23, 2011
1:00pm - 2:00pm - Sierra Hall 181
CSUN Dorms Address:
17950 Lassen St. Northridge, Ca 91325
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer or have any questions:
Email - email@example.com
Monday, August 22, 2011
Stay tuned for UPDATES!!!!
Thursday, April 28, 2011
Overall great event
Dope music provided by DJ Servin Ervin of Ugly People
funny and entertaining Emceeing by Koolski
Great mix of bboys of different skill levels
Intense battle between Bboy Kmel of Boogie Brats Crew and Bboy Teknyc of Skill Methodz Crew
great battle between Truth of X-Mob and Lil Demon of Skill Methodz Crew
save the date for the next installment of this montly jam